Thursday, April 12, 2012

Coming Home From Kruger

Crazy I know - I spend two days in Kruger yet what do I post? A short video of cows. What can I say? I like cows. And this sighting completely cheered me on our overly long drive home.

Whipping along this country road we see up ahead a commotion. The entire northbound lane is taken up by this long procession of cows. We estimate 400. Babies, moms, steers, every color a cow can be, horns growing every which way. Bill is not very impressed by their udders (no comment) so he guesses not milking cows.

Every 50 meters or so is a herder with a long stick keeping them orderly- for the most part. But some of the cows have crossed over the road onto our side and are contentedly having a graze. Those cows following think grazing is a good idea and the line veers over across both lanes to the tasty grass. There is a bit of a stoppage until the herders get the unruly cows back on track.

Bringing up the rear of the procession is a bakkie, man hanging out the window waving at us like King of the Parade. More likely the farmer thanking us for our patience.

In this little clip, not particularly well shot because I was driving at the same time with cows all around (very safe I know), you'll see the camera dip down and get a nice shot of the steering wheel. This is when a rogue cow crossed right in front of me. All very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment