Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Art and Beauty in the Joburg CBD - Part 1

I can say, without hyperbole, that going on 4 PAST Experiences tours has transformed the way I look at and live in the city of Johannesburg. Please don't misunderstand. I loved Jozi, this City of Gold, before I ever stepped foot on one of the tours (Shoot, I love the whole damn country). 

 But sure, I had heard the stories, particularly about the CBD -downtown Johannesburg - and the surrounding areas. Dangerous, crime-ridden, gone to wrack and ruin. But I've lived in cities all of my adult life and I know every city has sections of town that get written off, mythed to unimaginable levels of danger and disrepair, invisibly cordoned off by fear -- by those who don't live there.

I'm not naive; I know there is aching urban poverty, overcrowding, inadequate service delivery, run-down streets, and the accompanying despair and crime. But I also knew that had to be only one part of the story. There had to be life and light and beauty - there always is.   I just needed a guide to show me. Enter PAST Experiences, and in particular, tour guides extraordinaire, Jo Buitendach, and Tania Ollson. 

During the third tour I went on, aptly named Creative Jozi, Jo walked us around the CBD, primarily with a focus on the public art. Turns out the CBD is chock-a- block full of public art; it's like walking through an outdoor art museum specializing in, well, everything. And it's fantastic. But in some ways, the art serves just as an excuse to get those of us who don't live there out and about in the city, inviting us to walk side by side with people who do live and make their way in this part of town, to see and feel the color and vibrancy, the beauty and energy of everyday living. And thus, to take one small step in making our way beyond those myths and stories which keep us so painfully separate.


(I know the above sounds a bit like a promotion, but I promise you, I am getting no kickback from PAST Experiences.)


If you'd like to actually see the photos of the art and some of my silly musings- and I hope you will because I think you'll be amazed of course not by my musings but by the art--  you could click on this link to get to that blog. Art and Beauty in the Joburg CBD - Part 2

And if you'd like to learn more about PAST Experiences, click here to go to their website.  PAST Experiences


No comments:

Post a Comment