Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Green Dresses


It’s Mother’s Day.  We’re out for a hike in Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve south of town.  As we walk along, Quince comments, “Look mommy, everything looks so dull.”  I know what she means.  It is mid-autumn and the flashy, easy allure of summer is gone. But I want her to see the loveliness of nature at this time of year -- in the subtle, muted golds and greens and browns of autumn.  

I bend down, and point to the meadow of tall grasses.  “Look Quince, how many shades of green can you see in those grasses?”   She is on board immediately.   She begins pointing them out.  “I want that one in my wedding dress, and that one, and that one.”  I sigh and pause for a moment.   

I take a deep breath.   And then take this on too.   “Well, which ones would you want in your graduation dress?  And I mean your graduation when you get your doctorate.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment