Sunday, June 24, 2012

How My Blog Made Me Rich and Famous - 6/7 June


6 June 2012

I’m skyping with one of my best friends, Kate, and we’re talking about my blog.   The blog that is going to get me rich and famous.  Kate, who has been a writer her entire career – master’s thesis, doctoral dissertation, radio documentaries and accompanying books and web pages – says, “Have you thought about taking a writing class?”   I wince as a pinprick hole opens in that thin membraned little reservoir that houses self-confidence (I believe it is located near the gallbladder).   Even as my nose stings, and my eyes ever so slightly tear up, I know I am over-reacting, so I say nothing.  Secretly and furiously I try to use grown-up rationality self-talk to repair the hole.  Like that ever works. 

So we continue along.  Then, very reasonably, not knowing I am fragile because I stupidly don’t tell her so,  she says, “Caroline, you need to find someone to edit your writing.”  Okay, yes, that makes sense.  Of course.   And then she adds, “Even real writers use editors.”  At this point, a full-on tear opens up in this delicate little self-confidence balloon.  The force of the release whooshes it completely out of my body.  I watch it go zigzag skittering across the floor and come to a stop in the corner, small, deflated, emptied.  

As I get ready for bed that evening, I am feeling really, really discouraged, and vow to do nothing but work on my CV the next day, leave this silly writing behind, buckle down and find real work.  However, as real as those feelings are, I notice that I also already am composing a blog in my head, trying to capture the essence of how I experienced the conversation.  I can’t seem to help it.

7 June 2012
Today I am trying to figure out why my reaction was so out of proportion to Kate’s very good and reasonable suggestions.  Did I really think that I came to writing so naturally that I was beyond a writing course?   Did I really think that I was a good enough writer that my work doesn’t need editing?   I’m ducking my head in shame and averting my eyes now because I’m going to admit something very embarrassing.  Please don’t look at me when I tell you this.  Yes, maybe, a little. 

So, the best I can come up with now is that it is all part of the growing process.  Up until this point, I have drunk in all the encouraging and supportive comments which have come my way and nurtured my belief in myself.   I am grateful for those because as a writer still in the baby stage anything else might well have snuffed out my nascent efforts. 

But now that I am putting out there that I really want to do this, not just as a fun little past-time, but as something I am going to pursue more seriously I think I’ve entered a whole other ballgame.   I think the ballgame is the one where I have to say, “Please tell me how my writing sucks.  And I’d be most grateful for any suggestions of how I can make it unsucky.”  

I also truly believe that in my journey there will be turning point moments, or leap forward moments, when someone says something that stings, that is hard to take in, but that is exactly what I need to hear.   I am 100% sure that this conversation with Kate is one of those moments.  Thanking you in advance, Kate, for the fruit that conversation will bear.

6 comments:

  1. As someone who has taken a whole boatload of "writing courses," as I presume your friend Kate has too, I'd say that the best they might be able to offer is some more support (like a community of writers) and discipline. And, yeah, writers do have editors, but not when they are in the midst of their writing. With a blog, though, I'm not sure when you will not be "in the midst!" Hang tight, Caroline, and just write! The rest in time will come....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So taking to heart the Just write. I am feeling like everything that is supposed to come will come in time. Love you and thank you for your support!!

      Delete
  2. You have hit SO many common themes in how I feel too, Caroline. I NEVER stop composing posts in my head. It seems like almost everything I do and see can be written about.

    You have both the confidence and the fear that I have. It's like, "Am I making a total fool of myself for believe I have what it takes to be slightly famous," v. "Of COURSE I have what it takes."

    I know where my weaknesses are in my writing. I'm terrible at keeping tenses consistent and still get all confused about apostrophe placement. You know what though? I have zero interest in writing groups or classes. Yeah, maybe they can be very supportive, etc., but I feel like we'd run the risk of losing our true voices.

    I've stayed in touch with my high school English teacher who has edited some of my posts for me--the ones I'd like to submit. I so admire him, and not once did he, or anyone else suggest that I couldn't do this. Your writing is SO not sucky!!!!

    I wish you lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment so made my day, Gayle. Yse, to composing all the time. And yes to everything is a potential blog. I think it has made me live life in a more conscious way actually - to be in the moment so I can recreate it later. But then of course that means there is tension between being fully in the moment and a bit removed at the same time. In fact, I've been thinking about writing a blog about that very phenomenon. There are just not enough hours in the day - well I should be more specific - not enough kid-free, puppy-free hours in the day - to do all the writing I want.

      And yes, to the fear vs confidence. And here is a glimpse into my mind. When I feel confident, a little part of me is saying, yes you feel confident because you are naive and ignorant. LOL.

      I think I might follow that route also - to have someone edit some posts that I'd like to put on other forums.

      I'm grateful for your support and glad I have gotten to know you better through your blogs and FB!!!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your writing! The courses could be good for lots of reasons- but your writing as stands is grand. Hearing you talk of "always writing" - you might like a book by Helen Garner - True Stories. It starts with her talking about how "the accidental journal" became books. You can get it on Kindle! And then there are lots of her stories- and there is something in how she writes that reminds me a bit of you. Now - let me hope THIS one publishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny, Penny, Penny. I've said it before, but you have no idea how much your on-going support means to me and helps me keep writing. If there ever is a book, you definitely get a huge mention!! Will take a look for that book. (I'll have to commandeer Alexander's kindle.

    ReplyDelete