Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Short Story in Three Very Small Acts


Act 1
Sunday afternoon I decide to invest in the next 50 years of my life (that’s right, I am living to 100) by hiring a leadership/life coach.  She does not come cheap, but I reason (rationalize) the eventual pay-off  will cover it multi-fold.

Act 2
Monday afternoon, I take Alexander for an orthodontic consult.  The important word in that sentence is CONSULT.    In other words, not one iota of work actually takes place – it is just an assessment of the work that needs to be done. 

Act 3
At the end of the 40 minute CONSULT, as I sign the credit card slip for the equivalent of 2 ½ hours worth of coaching, I reverse my Sunday decision.  Like good mommies are supposed to do, or so I’ve heard,  I prioritize my child’s needs over my own.  Alexander will have a beautiful, white, straight-toothed smile.  In ten years time, after we have paid off orthodontia bills, I will get my coach.   It’s okay.  By my figuring that means I get to live till 110.  



Footnote:  Of course that is not Alexander.  Number 1 - he doesn't have his braces yet.  Number 2 - you know how protective he is of his image. This is some random (apparently masterful) boy taken from a google image search on boy and braces.   

1 comment:

  1. Sounds slightly familiar, although not quite. I remember that I had a choice of continuing to see my therapist (I think therapists were called psychiatrists in my day...) or having the house painted. That's why your mother is still such a whacko...but our yellow house was beautiful. So now you need to make your fortune from your blog site so that you can have your cake (Alexander's braces--Remember when Lane Reed had braces and suspected that if a plane flew over his school with a magnet half the class would be lifted by their braces out the windows) and eat it too (that Life Coach--Shall we talk about that when next we Skype? Friday?)

    ReplyDelete