Thursday, January 19, 2012

And the Good News Is; Examples to Counteract the Prevailing Stereotypes; Installment 2

(Before I say the good news, a little background if you are not from, or have never been to, South Africa.  The majority of people here in Johannesburg do not own cars and therefore do their daily commutes and travel by taxi.  Not the single passenger taxi, but the van type of taxi that picks up and deposits its passengers all along its route often blocking the cars behind which causes some inconvenience and irritation - which those of us who are fortunate enough to have cars should just get over.  But taxi drivers in this country also have a reputation for rude, reckless, dangerous, and discourteous driving and this reputation is not just invented.)

So my drive to deliver Alexander in the morning is a bit convoluted.    I wag through the backstreets of Craighall Park to avoid the Bompas back-up, do a little left jig onto the hyper trafficy Jan Smuts for one block, and then scoot over onto the backstreets of Dunkeld, taking me to hyper trafficy Oxford where I need to do a little left jag before turning into Alexander's school.  These little jigs and jags onto Jan Smuts and Oxford always require the kindness of strangers to let me in or else I would need to sit there and wait till rush hour is over to get Alexander to school.   Not often, but occasionally, it is a taxi driver who kindly waves me in front of him.  As a way of give-back thanks, I try as often as possible to extend the same courtesy to taxis, hoping in some small way, in my own little world, to grow this practice of mutual consideration.  


3 comments:

  1. I love happy taxi encounter stories. Their drivers do an important, dangerous, and under appreciated job in our society.

    Yesterday, as I was driving along main road, a taxi pulls up next to me and the driver hangs out of the window to let me know that one of my tires was a little flat. Then he blocked traffic for me so I was able to pull into the nearest petrol station.

    A bit later in the day, I waved one in front of me in rush hour traffic on the high way. After all, they have many more passengers stuck in the sweltering heat, who have much longer distances than me to travel before they eventually get home to their families. In return, I got waves and smiles, along with the customary double flash of warning lights.

    These small acts of kindness make my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both these stories. Can I put them into their own blog post and publish? (attributed to you of course.)

      Delete
  2. Of course. :-)

    I really enjoy and appreciate your blog, Caroline. Your ability to pick up on all the positive things South Africa has to offer - rather than focusing on the negative - makes me smile every time. It almost feels like we are living parallel love stories with this beautiful country, complexities and all.

    Wishing you a wonderful, sunny and challenging week up there! Greetings from Cape Town!

    ReplyDelete