Sunday, January 22, 2012

Limes In Avos Out

Limes are seasonal - and a rare treat in this part of the world!!! Who knew??  Certainly not I when last year I did a big invite for people to come over for margaritas and guacamole.   And that is when I naively went to Dunkeld Fruit and Flower to buy the required dozens of limes and was told they weren't in season yet.  Lemons available all year round, but limes have only a month or so on the grocer's shelves.  (don't ask me how that is possible.)

Fortunately, although I had to pay a small fortune in beginning of season prices, limes came in right before our big margarita/guacamole fest.  When the price dropped, I bought bags full and juiced and froze and juiced and froze.  My frozen lime juice stock has just run out - and I see limes are back on the shelves just in the nick of time.  Which means, ridiculously, that avocados are out.

  The good news is that avos (as they're fondly referred to here) must have a wide growing area, because they are only scarce for about 4-6 weeks, and then slowly little ones start reappearing on the shelves till finally at the height of the season, you can get a package of 6 avos for R14 or $2.00.  I've eaten A LOT  of avocados since I moved here.

There are a couple of other seasonal items that have taken me by surprise.  Walnuts.  Grapes.  Israelie/Persian cucumbers.

The obvious downside of this in-season out-of-season cycle is the inconvenience - I mean really, limes might be seasonal, but margaritas are certainly meant to be a year-round staple.  However, the absolute beauty of this seasonality is that I rejoice when I see the lime, the walnuts, the grapes, and of course, the avos back on the shelves.   And in this world, I am embracing all the reasons I can to rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment